Betwixtmas Turkey Wellington

There is a tradition in our house known as the Betwixtmas Feast.  This is when we are left with the smallest amount of Turkey, Chicken, Duck from our three bird roast and want to use it all up, finally before the New Year arrives. 

The first time I made this I was unsure how to go about it, so I consulted my old and battered copy of Marika Hanbury Tenison's - Left Over for Tomorrow, a Penguin Cook Book published in 1971.

Unlike today's cook books it is not filled with yummy pictures, though it is loaded with recipes for every conceivable left over imaginable, with useful tips for storing and deep freezing leftover foods.  Mind you it must be a long time ago, as Marika tells us she buys her olive oil in Boots the Chemist!! 

There are also two recipes for Aspics in the book; something that caused a meltdown for Julie Powell, when she attempted to cook all the recipes in Mastering the Art of French Cooking -( Beck, Bertholle, Child) all 524 recipes in one year!!  Marika makes her aspics from tinned consomme, gelatine and sherry, though she does give a recipe for making Aspics from scratch, for those of us who welcome meltdowns!!

So basically the meat is chopped small, as are left over potatoes, parsnips, brussel sprouts.  As I cannot eat onions, I chop the green part of Scallions/ Spring Onions, (my local Turkish supermarket sells these) they have loads of the green part left on, they are not chopped neatly as in the supermarkets. No I get the whole Scallion, value for money.

I cheat on the pastry, I've already done as much cooking in 
one day as I normally do in a week.  So best short crust from supermarket.

Lay one sheet of baking parchment on the baking tray, lay all the ingredients on top of the pastry, sprinkle chopped green Scallions over the top of that, and then the Bechamel Sauce.

Lay the top sheet of pastry on top, fork around the edges, and cut small slots in pastry. Paint the pastry with one beaten egg.   Pop in the oven at      for 35 minutes, eh voila Betwixtmas Turkey Wellington.







Comments

Popular Posts